Symbolsâ€”images that represent more complex ideasâ€”can quickly convey meaning. The photos you examine in your text this week each portray many layers of meaning in a single shot. But a symbol can convey an intended meaning while also having another meaning applied to it, sometimes due to the context of the scene or the viewer. In this Application, you will analyze the ways in which an image can symbolize a more complex ideas or ideas.
Questions about this assignment? Post them in the Ask the Instructor area. That way, everyone in the class will see and benefit from the Instructor’s response.
To prepare for this Application:
- Read the assigned essays in Chapters 4 and 5 of the Muller text. Also, review the essays assigned in Week 1 for relevant connections to the assignment.
- Choose for analysis one photo from the photo sections listed in the resources. Focus on what your chosen photo symbolizes about globalization and how it portrays different perspectives related to globalization.
- Consider how your perspective on globalization aligns with or differs from what the photos seem to symbolize.
- Compose a 1- to 2-page essay in which you do the following:
oAnalyze how a photo from your course text symbolizes a perspective on globalization. Your essay should answer the following two questions:
ï‚§What meaning is the photo intended to symbolize?
ï‚§How does your perspective on globalization align with, differ from, or change the intended message of the photo?
oRefer to 2 specific examples from your course reading and record in your assignment information about each source, including author, year, page number, and publication title.
Week 2 Required ReadingsResources
- Muller, G. H. (2014). The new world reader: Thinking and writing about the global community (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Â Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- Photo insert found between pages 32â€“33: “Culture or Conflict? Images of Globalization”
- Chapter 4, “Speaking in Tongues: Does Language Unify or Divide Us?” (pp. 99â€“115)
- Chapter 5, “Global Relationships: Are Sex and Gender Roles Changing?” (pp. 138â€“167)
- Photo insert found after page 288: “Is Beauty Universal? Global Body Images”