I need help with a Writing question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
Chapter 9 of your course text discusses standardized assessments and explains the difference in the types of standardized assessments. It is important to understand that assessments are standardized when “the same procedures are used every time the test is given” (Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E., 2015, p. 331). Developing the understanding that there are many types of standardized assessments, such as screeners and diagnostic assessments covered in the previous weeks of class, is equally important. Another type of standardized assessment, and one that is hotly debated in education today, is achievement testing. Specifically, achievement testing “is used to measure children’s progress and compare it to other children of the same age” (Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E., 2015, p. 331). It is this type of standardized assessment that is our focus for this first discussion post.
Please note the citations were not cited correctly in the discussion prompt. Below are the correct citations for the citations in the discussion prompt:
It is important to understand that assessments are standardized when “the same procedures are used every time the test is given” (Howard & Aiken 2015, Section 9.1, para. 1).
Specifically, achievement testing “is used to measure children’s progress and compare it to other children of the same age” ((Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E., 2015, p. 331)).(Howard & Aiken 2015, Section 9.1, para. 3).
To prepare for this discussion, read the “Something’s wrong with both standardized tests and the ‘Opt-Out’ movement (Links to an external site.)” article. Include the following in your initial post. See my expectations for each question below:
1. Explain, in your own words, what standardized testing is and how it is different from achievement testing(at least one para.)
2. Compare and contrast how the different types standardized testing differs from the other forms of assessment discussed throughout this course. Provide specific examples and support your points with information from the course text(at least 1-2 para.)
3. Defend one of the quotes below from the article Something’s wrong with both standardized tests and the ‘Opt-Out’ movement (Links to an external site.). Explain why you support or agree with the quote and provide specific details as to why. Support this portion of your post with the text and at least one scholarly resource. (one para.)
- Option One: “Federally mandated standardized testing was born from a desire to guarantee the right to individuality and autonomy across socio-economic bounds.” – Jordan Shapiro
- Option Two: “When seen from a desk of a federal bureaucrat, standardized tests make more children stand out.” –Jordan Shapiro
- Option Three: “When seen from the desk-chair of a classroom pupil, children are robbed of the individuality that comes from differentiated instruction.” – Jordan Shapiro
4. Propose a solution to the standardized achievement testing debate. How do you feel children should be assessed in both early childhood and beyond? Provide a rationale for your solution. (at least one para.)
Note: Make sure you cite relevant course content to support your ideas and the article per APA format. I am looking for evidence of weekly relevant course content learning in your posting.