Please answer one question from any 3 sections (1-1.5 pps. per question, 3-5 total).
- Explain Friedmanâ€™s arguments about social responsibility?
- Compare and contrast Milton Friedman on the social responsibility of business and Michael McFarland on the social responsibility of engineers.
- Evaluate Vanasupa et alâ€™s arguments for fostering social responsibility in the classroom.
- Explain the progressive safety concerns and challenges airbags saw in their early implementation. (hint use dates).
- Explain the safety concerns in the 2010 Toyota Prius and Lexus Hs250h models. Are the design engineers morally responsible for the resulting accidents? Why or why not?
- Compare and contrast McFarland, Perrow, and Martin and Schinzinger on ways to make engineering safer.
- Do we owe it to our employer to be loyal to our work? Why or why not?
- From your reading, what are good and bad ways of defining loyalty? Why?
- The ‘Coast Guard’ video shows an engineering whistle-blowing in public via Youtube. According to DeGeorge and/or other authors is the engineer a) morally permitted, b) obligated to whistle-blow?
- What are the fundamental changes Catalano would like to see made to ABET criteria? Evaluate his arguments.
- Compare and Contrast Hawsâ€™ and Catalanoâ€™s ideas about how to teach Engineering Ethics with the way this class was run. Evaluate which is â€œbetter.â€ Why?
- What is just war theory? Evaluate arguments such as Fichtelbergâ€™s that just war theory should apply to engineers or engineering.