A crisis presents the ultimate communication test for managers and leaders. Careful coordination is required to assess the situation, prioritize critical issues, collect relevant information, and create an effective communication plan. Above all, open, consistent, and candid communication is key.
1. Identify a company that has or is currently experiencing a crisis.
2. Evaluate the crisis situation, including its ethical implication.
3. Judge the effectiveness of the organizationâ€™s communication approach (reactive, proactive, candid, and/or utilizing the media to deliver clear messages to their audiences)?
4. What values and actions are being communicated?
5. Develop a recommendation for what the organization could have done differently to better manage the situation and their reputation.
Organizations to Consider
â€¢ British Petroleum
â€¢ Carnival Cruise Line
â€¢ General Motors
â€¢ The National Football League
â€¢ WSJ â€“ use the link on the left-hand side menu bar of your course
â€¢ Yahoo Finance