The purpose of the individual system analysis and design project is to make it into a real-world project.
Ticket purchase system (airline, train, cruise, concert, or others)
The project requires students to perform (a) requirements analysis, (b) system and database design, and (c) a project plan. The planning part requires the use of MS Project software.
Title page (project name, author, and date)
Phase 1: Requirement analysis
- Problem definition
- Description of the proposed system
- Logical model design
- Data flow diagrams
Context diagram/Diagram 0/Diagram 1
[Diagram 1 is optional]
Descriptions of processes in each diagram
- Descriptions of outputs/inputs/performance/security or controls
- Specific requirements, if any (interface, operational, resource, performance, etc.)
Phase 2: System and database design (Physical model design)
- User interface
Design an overall user interface consisting of screens, commands, controls, and features to enable users to use the system.
- How data will be input to the system?
- The physical layout for each input
- The input design and procedures
- How data will be output from the system?
- The physical layout for each output
- The output design and procedures
- Data design
Develop a physical plan for data organization, storage, updating, and retrieval.
- Database design
- Database tables with their attributes should be presented (however their implementations are not required)
- Primary key(s) should be identified in each table, if any
- Three steps of normalization should be included.
- Entity-relationship diagrams
- Data file storage and access
- System architecture
Determine the architecture of the system as Web-based interface, client/server architecture, Internet/Intranet interface, network configuration, etc.
Phase 3: Project plan (Microsoft Project)
A list of tasks or activities needed for implementing the proposed system
Estimating completion time and costs
A project schedule for performing those activities (Gantt charts or PERT charts)