HUM 101 Houston Community College The Third Reich and Catholicism Essay Write a 6-10 page paper (3-5,000 words) on ANY topic of your choosing, that is connected to one of the religions we are studying. You can choose ANY topic you want to, as long as it follows the rules I give you below.
Here are some examples of topics people have chosen in the past. You CANNOT use these topics. You have to find your own. I give them to you so you can see what counts as a good topic. Here are some topics from Hinduism: The Thugee Cult, The Beggar Mafia, When Vishnu became a Turtle. Here are some examples from Buddhism: The Buddha was a Rabbit, Ajahn Chah and the Duck, The Monkey King. Here are some examples from Jainism: The World is Flat, Fasting to Death, Jains vs. Gandhi and the Killing of a Goat. Here are some examples from Judaism: Multiple Authors of Genesis, Maimonides and Astronomy, Sex on the Sabbath. Here are some examples from Islam: Memorizing the Qu’ran, Muhammed and the Spider, Muhammed and the boy who ate candy. Here are some examples from Christianity: Paul was a Roman, John is still living, A War between popes.
As you can see, none of the examples I have given you are from the book. That is the point. You have to find a topic that is NOT commonly covered in the book.
1. Choose a topic that is interesting to you.
2. Choose a topic that is NOT covered in the textbook. You will have to do some research on your own to find a topic. It should be something unusual.
3. You need at least 5 sources for your paper. You CANNOT use any sources that are on the internet that have a “.com” ending. Your sources should be either “.edu” or “.org”–these are academically acceptable.
4. Your paper should be about 12 pages of 11 pt. font typeface).
5. You paper should not be superficial–it should be specific and interesting. At the heart of it, pick a topic that you think is fascinating and that you think people don’t know anything about. You will probably have to do a lot of research to find a good topic. That is the point of this assignment. Spend a few HOURS searching the internet for a topic that is unusual and interesting to you. And once you find the topic, then do a lot of research to learn all you can about it. Once you’ve done that, then start to write your paper to tell me all about the interesting an unusual thing you have learned. This is the point–find something you think I will not have heard about. If it comes up in the first five minutes of searching, you are not doing enough to dig into something unusual.
6. If it isn’t one of these rules it doesn’t matter. So–I don’t care what kind of citation form you use (MLA, APA, etc). I don’t care if you have a cover page. I don’t care if you use books or the internet. I don’t care if you single space or double space. I won’t count your pages–but I will count the words.