English Week 1 Assignment: Cultural Relativism and Moral Action
· Due Sunday by 11:59pm
· Points 50
· Submitting a file upload
Required Resources Read/review the following resources for this activity:
· Textbook: Chapter 1, 2
· Minimum of 2 scholarly sources in addition to the textbook
Instructions For this assignment propose a scenario where you or someone you know are confronted with a moral dilemma relating to cultural diversity and multiculturalism. It cannot be the same as what was covered in the week one discussion.
Cultural diversity refers to religious, sexual, racial, and other forms of social difference. A moral dilemma is a situation in which one must make a decision between two or more options such that the options involve seemingly ethical and/or unethical conduct. Address the following questions:
· What was the situation? What did the dilemma involve?
· What would a subjective moral relativist say is the right approach to the dilemma? Why would that kind of relativist say that?
· What would a cultural relativist say is the right approach to the dilemma? Why would that kind of relativist say that? Is that approach correct?
· What did you the person confronting the dilemma decide to do? What moral justification did they give? Is that approach morally correct?
· Was there an objective moral truth (the objectively right thing to do) in this situation? Why or why not?
Remember, the dilemma should be detailed with description and dialogue. Regard the questions as requirements. This is an essay, so rather than simply providing a list of brief answers to questions, provide an in-depth reflection regarding a difficult ethical situation..
Cite the textbook and incorporate outside sources, including citations.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
· Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
· 1-inch margins
· Double spaced
· 12-point Times New Roman font
· Title page
· References page (minimum of 2 scholarly sources)
Grading This activity will be graded based on the Essay Grading Rubric.
Course Outcomes (CO): 1
Due Date: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday