Reflective essay 3
For this Reflective Essay, you have three topics from which to choose:
- What role should religion play in society? (Note, I am not asking you to describe what role it does play, but what role it should play.)
- Is greater cultural diversity bad or good for a particularly society?
- What role should philosophy play in society (As with topic A, I am not asking what role it does play, but what role it should play.)
You may choose one and only one theme!Â If you do more than one, or mash them together, or whatever, I will only count things relevant to the first theme I come across in your paper.Â I will not hunt around for the best theme!
The purpose of the reflective essay is to give you a chance to think more deeply about the topics we cover in this course.Â For each essay, you will be given a topic or topics (if there are multiple topics, you will have a choice of which topic).Â To write the essay, you will need to do the following:
- Write an introduciton which clearly identifies the topic and clearly indicates what you will say about it.Â If the topic includes a question to be answered, a clear answer to the question must be in the intro.
- Write a description of the topic.Â The description must contain at least three properly-cited references to the relevant class texts.
- Write an argument that supports the stand you take on the topic.Â Your argument should be as free as possible from logical fallacies.Â It should also not depend on particular cultural or religious views.Â It should contain rationally-believable premises which logically support their conclusion.
4) The whole essay should be written at a stylistic level appropriate to a college-level liberal arts class.Â Clear and proper citations must be used throughout.
I will score your essays as follows:
1) Introduction – 10 points
2) Description – 40 points
3) Argument – 40 points
4) Style – 10 points
Essays should be 650 – 900 words in length.